Saturday 15 December 2012

Review of Slated by Teri Terry



Title: Slated
Author: Teri Terry
Published: May 2012
Publisher: Orchard Books
ISBN: 9781408319468

Rating: 3.5/5

I was drawn to the cover on this, simple yet eye catching.

Imagine a world where as a teen, you have no memories, you are a blank slate and have to learn everything for the first time.  You have been Slated – your memory has been wiped. Those in power have decreed that terrorists and those living outside the law should be slated to give them a new life.

Kyla’s memory has been wiped. Unlike many Slaters, she wants to know why, and she wants answers.  She also doesn’t react the same way as other Slateds do to their armband/Levo.  What she doesn’t plan on is the amount of distrust and lying from those around her once she is placed with her shiny new family.  She has to keep to the rules she signed on her release to her new family...the consequences of not behaving soon become apparent.

This was spine chilling in some places – lets face it – this could happen if someone was ruthless enough and with this set in the UK, it is a very thought provoking book.

I like Kyla's friend Ben, and also her nemesis Phoebe who plays a large part in opening Kylas eyes to the dangers of those around her. As Kyla remembers snippets of who she was, the suspense mounts.  I couldn’t put this book down and read it in one sitting.  I haven’t given it a higher rating as I felt short changed at the ending, with completely new ideas and realisations coming to light. a bit of a cliff hanger, but not one I particularly liked in this case as it came from nowhere...now I *must* read the next in the series, as I need to know what happens to everyone. I think I also have an idea as to who her Dad is and his involvement.

Book synopsis:
Kyla's memory has been erased,
her personality wiped blank,
her memories lost for ever.

She's been Slated.

The government claims she was a terrorist,
and that they are giving her a second chance -
as long as she plays by their rules.
But echoes of the past whisper in Kyla's mind.
Someone is lying to her, and nothing is as it seems.
Who can she trust in her search for the truth?

Source- Library

1 comment:

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

I've had a copy of this book on my shelves for ages! I really must get around to reading it soon.